Healthy Homemade Rusks
Ingredients for Mixture 1
500g wholewheat flour
1kg cake flour
150g Jungle Oatbran
90 ml baking powder
15 ml salt
Ingredients for Mixture 2
500g brown sugar
500 ml Vergezocht HO oil
60 ml lemon juice
500 ml low fat milk (more milk can be used, if required)
250g mixture of raisins and sultanas
- Mix all the ingredients for Mixture 1 and set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, mix all the ingredients for Mixture 2.
- Combine Mixture 1 and 2 together.
- Spoon into baking tray and bake for 40-60 min @ 180°C.
- Cool down to room temperature (will crumble if not cooled down properly), cut and allow to dry for 4 hours @ 100°C.
Variations: The mixture forms a stiff dough that can be cut into pieces before baking. To make the dough softer i.e. to form a batter, add 1.5 liter milk instead of 500 ml. Then bake for 60 min @ 180°C.
Recipe written by dietician, Ilsabé Spoelstra